Tuesday 30 November 2010

I whip my hair back and forth


I have natural hair and its been like this ever since I can remember.

More women are going natural (I guess it's because of the wealth of info on the Internet and to counteract the lace front weave epidemic). Some have even approached me in the street with the following questions:
How long have you been natural? Do you have any pictures of your hair journey? How long did it take to get your hair that long?

For the record I have my hair like this because it's versatile. I can wear my hair straight, curly, in plaits or blown out in a huge fro. I'm always puzzled when people ask why I haven't relaxed my hair when I think the real question is why did you relax yours?

Don't get me wrong I desperately wanted permanently straight hair when I was younger but my mum said no and for that I'm grateful. Once I got into my teens, the peer pressure was gone and I realised all my relaxed friends from primary school had almost nothing left.

I am not anti weave or relaxer. People can choose to do whatever they like with their own hair and I don't think anyone should be made to feel bad about something so trivial. However I'm sick of being one of the only girls in the club without a shiny long weave (a la Kim Kardashian) I'd like to see a little bit more variety be it braids, down cuts, straight hair, curly, coarse and everything in between.
By the way that's my hair and me in the picture

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I tried going natural a few years ago but I have quite bad alopecia areata so I couldn't keep it up. I absolutely love your hair and I'm glad you've never permanently straightened it. Diversity rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing stuff to my hair so I plan on going natural eventually. After I have shaved hair for a while. I'm in a weird place right now with my hair, tryna work out what I actually want. I've done all sorts dyed it, had it relaxed and long, relaxed and very short cuts, various braids and weaves. So we'll see what 2011 holds. But for now it just has to be AWAY, this cold is not the one for my hair.

    But I love your hair BTW! And I love the different looks people have. But I'm overly fed up of the same look on all black girls these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I even saw a girl in PRIMARY school with a weave. I don't think our mothers would have ever allowed that nonsense (way to young)
    And I just wanted to add it is COLD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gone natural too & i have noticed a lot black gals r doin it. I've always had relaxed hair sincei was like 5! So goin natural is whole new experience 4 me & im loving every moment. I must say reading natural hair blogs has really helped my journey otherwise i prolly wud hav given up & gone back 2 da creamy crack!

    nice blog:) #teamnatural!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey girl,
    you know i absolutely love your hair. And although mines been relaxed since i was very young, i agree it's nice to see variety in a bunch of females. we're all made differently and our hair should reflect our natural ability to change, evolve. you're fabulous Sandy! xxx

    ReplyDelete