Sunday 30 May 2010

Maltese Experiences


Even though I have had a great time here in Malta it has really made me appreciate my upbringing and life in London. We have so many different cultures and different types of people it’s hard to build prejudices even though they still exist. Here in Malta I’ve heard so many dubious comments I thought I would share some with you.


“I would never date a black man in at home in Switzerland all the boys will think I’m a slut because they have big dicks”


“I don’t like women who are too skinny but then again I don’t like black women’s bodies they are to fat with too much breasts and big bum” (This was a woman by the way)


“Wow you’re so cool, but then again you’re black, all of you can dance and sing that’s why people are racist they’re just jealous”


I love this quote from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie “The problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete”


As minorities in a western society we often don’t have the luxury of being seen as individuals, one person speaks for all. I’m sure some of you have had this experience, a shop keeper has wronged you in public but instead of flying off the deep end you held your tongue because you didn’t want to look like the typical angry black woman!

3 comments:

  1. Nonsense! I used to get comments like this all the time when I was in boarding school, especially the all black people being "cool" one. And I know exactly how it feels like to "speak" for your entire race. I've dealt with it for the majority of my life. You just have to educate them one person at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I think you're right but its crazy here, the other day I was on the bus with a friend having a private conversation. A lady interupted and proceded to tell us her friend loves black men but they are too poor to take care of her (sending £££ back home). The first thing that came to my head is this women is old she needs to grow up. The next thing was what the hell does this have to do with me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr *angry face*

    Things like this soooo wind me up, I remember in my Grammar school having the dumb blonde (lol, stereotypes, stereotypes) being sent to ask me if it is possible for me to tan. As I am already sooooo black. I was so surprised I laughed, she was actually serious and I watched her go to report her findings to her friends.

    The comment about black performers in hilarious!

    These things used to annoy me. But I feel as a minority in the Western world, I should calm down (and not be the angry black stereotype) and just educate them. I cannot hate on genuine ignorance but I WILL hate on wilfully ignorant people.

    ReplyDelete